The dog days of summer are fast approaching – have you prepared your home for the warmest months of the year? Completing your home maintenance checklist now leaves more time to relax and enjoy the summer sun. You’ll also want to complete these tasks before it gets too hot! Follow along using our handy to-do list to ensure your home stays in excellent condition for years to come!
The last thing you’ll want to do when the weather is nice is be stuck inside, so let’s start from the inside and work our way out! Here are a few items that will need your attention inside the home:
- Replace and/or clean all filters in your home (range hood, furnace, HRV)
- Check the sealing around windows and doors
- Check and test the sump pump
- Air out a damp basement on a dry, sunny day
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Check exhaust fans
- Check and reset GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter)
- Inspect doors and locks
- Clean bathroom drains and showerheads
- Clean and wash windows
- Ensure proper humidity in your home
Now let’s go outside and enjoy the beautiful weather. Make sure you are taking regular breaks and staying hydrated if it’s hot out! Here is your outdoor checklist:
- Check sheds and garages
- Check garage door tracks and lubricate bearings
- Check exhaust vents at exterior are clear of any debris
- Check roof, valleys and shingles
- Inspect air conditioning unit and clean air conditioner filter
- Inspect driveways and walkways (wash and keep clean)
- Wash porch and patio/deck
- Wash exterior side of windows
- Turn outdoor hose bibs back on
- Ensure downspout extensions are connected and are pointed away from the foundation walls
- Check exterior finishes
- Clean out gutters and downspouts
While you probably completed most of your garden maintenance in the spring, there are still a few things to do in the summer months to ensure your garden stays healthy! A few things you can do to maintain a beautiful garden are:
- Fertilize your lawn
- Trim any branches to ensure at least 8 feet separation from your roof
- Regularly cut and trim your lawn
- Regularly water plants and flowers
- Clean the bird bath and fill it with fresh water regularly
- Ensure fresh sod is watered regularly
One last step and then the summer is yours to enjoy! Follow these tips to ensure you and your family are staying safe outside this summer:
- Check outdoor play equipment for stability, rust and holes, as well as any nests from wasps, bees or other animals
- Ensure your BBQ is clean and safe to use before first-use
- Stock up on some tasty grilling food… yum!
- Spray patio furniture with water sealer/repellent to protect it throughout the summer months
- Stock up on sunscreen/bug spray for regular use!
Have you found an issue and you’re not sure what’s covered under your warranty?
With the purchase of an Activa home, our partner Tarion has you covered under warranty for years to come. For more information on what is covered, please go to Tarion and log in to see your home details. You can also check your customer experience binder for more specifics!
At Activa, we are present at every step of the home buying process, which includes years after you have moved in! We want to minimize any complications that could be costly and time-consuming and want our homeowners to feel safe and in control of their new homes. For more information on home maintenance for each season, visit activa.ca/learn.