Keeping up with your home’s maintenance in the winter months can be tough, but it is essential for the upkeep of your home! That is why we have created a go-to guide outlining the important items you should pay attention to this winter. Follow the checklists below to ensure you have your home’s winter maintenance covered this season.
Let’s start from the inside and work our way out! Here are a few items that will need your attention inside the home:
- Clean your furnace filter and your HRV (heat recovery ventilation system) filter
- Have your furnace and/or HRV serviced, if needed (once a year is ideal)
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. If required, replace the batteries
- Check and test the sump pump
- Check weather-stripping and seals around windows and doors to ensure cold air is blocked
- Remove window screens so you don’t trap any excess condensation
- Wipe any condensation on windows as soon as possible to avoid damaging the trim
- Keep blinds open to use the sun as an extra heat source – ensure there is plenty of air ﬂow around window coverings to reduce window condensation
- Use your HYGROMETER to test moisture levels in your home. Try to maintain a steady level of 40-50%, but note that winter tends to be a dry season, so humidity will drop. If required, purchase a humidiﬁer to add extra moisture into the air to combat this extremely dry season.
Check the humidity of your home regularly. Many complications can arise that are not covered under your Tarion warranty if the humidity of your home is not properly maintained. That is why we give each of our Activa homeowners a portable Hygrometer to test this. To learn more about humidity and your home click here!
Please keep in mind that your Tarion warranty factors in homeowner maintenance. That is why keeping up with outdoor maintenance is essential! Follow this checklist to keep your home in peak condition:
- Clear your roof regularly to prevent ice damage – an easy way to prevent snow build-up is with a roof rake!
- Ensure your exhaust fans are clear from any snow or debris
- Remove any overhanging ice from your roof, eavestroughs and vents
- Wrap any exposed pipes with insulation to prevent them from freezing
- Drain exterior hose bibs and turn off the water so they don’t freeze – check out our tutorial!
- Place plywood over the top of your air conditioning unit to shield it from snow and ice – weigh it down with bricks or rocks to keep it in place
- Spray a small amount of powdered graphite lubricant into your door locks to prevent them from freezing
- Regularly remove snow from trees on your property to prevent damage
- Regularly remove snow and ice from your driveway and sidewalks to prevent damage
- Use caution when salting concrete steps, porches and sidewalks – use only non-abrasive products!
Have you found an issue and you’re not sure what’s covered under your warranty?
With the purchase of an Activa home, our partner, Tarion, has you covered under warranty for years to come. For more information on what is covered, please go to Tarion and login to see your home details. You can also check your Welcome Home Binder for more specifics!
At Activa, we are present at every step of the home buying process – which includes years after you have moved in! We want to minimize any complications that could be costly and time-consuming and want our homeowners to feel safe and in control of their new home.
Looking for more homeowner tips and tricks? ActivaLearn is your go-to place for design inspiration, a look into our building process, homeowner resources and more!