As Father’s Day approaches, it’s the perfect time to honour and appreciate the incredible fathers in our lives. This special day presents a golden opportunity to go beyond the ordinary and create lasting memories with our dads. While traditional gifts hold their charm, the true essence of Father’s Day lies in spending quality time together and engaging in heartwarming activities that celebrate the bond between fathers and their children.
Continue reading to explore a range of family activities in the KWC that can make this Father’s Day truly unforgettable. Whether you’re seeking inspiration for your own celebration or looking to surprise the father figure in your life, we’ve got you covered. From outdoor adventures to backyard BBQs at home, these ideas are designed to foster meaningful connections, laughter, and joy.
Explore the outdoors!
Lace-up your hiking boots or prepare your bicycles and embark on an adventure-filled exploration of the great outdoors with your dad.
For nature-loving dads, there’s no better way to celebrate and create lasting memories than by immersing yourself in the natural beauty and recreational wonders of Victoria Park in Kitchener. Nestled in the heart of the city, this picturesque urban oasis offers a serene escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, providing the perfect setting for a delightful Father’s Day adventure.
For active families, Waterloo Park offers an array of recreational opportunities that are sure to keep everyone entertained. Challenge your father to a game of tennis or basketball on the well-maintained courts, showcasing your skills while nurturing a healthy sense of competition. Bring along bicycles and explore the park’s scenic trails.
Want to discover more of the Region’s most beautiful parks and get your dose of nature’s fresh air and green scenery? Read our blog on Parks to Visit in The KWC Region.
Hit the greens with Dad!
If your father is a golf enthusiast, the Region is home to several well-regarded golf courses that provide the perfect setting for a memorable Father’s Day round. Challenge each other on the lush fairways, soak in the beauty of the manicured greens, and revel in the shared passion for the game.
- Whistle Bear Golf Club (Cambridge)
- Grey Silo Golf Course (Waterloo) – Fun fact! This course is next to our Trailside Towns community in Waterloo!
- Rebel Creek Golf Club (Petersburg)
- Conestoga Golf and Conference Centre (Conestogo)
- Doon Valley Golf Course (Kitchener)
- River Edge Golf Club (Kitchener)
- Rockway Golf Course (Kitchener)
- Foxwood Golf and Country Club (Baden)
- Merry-Hill Golf Club (Breslau)
- Beaverdale Golf Club (Cambridge)
Canoe the Grand
A day trip canoeing the Grand River on Father’s Day is an opportunity to embrace the beauty of Ontario’s wilderness, foster a sense of exploration and adventure, and strengthen the unbreakable bond between fathers and their children. So, launch your canoe, let the river guide you, and immerse yourselves in the serenity and majesty of this remarkable waterway, creating cherished memories that will last a lifetime.
Discover the charms of our Region
Take a trip to St. Jacobs
Just a short drive from KWC, St. Jacobs offers a charming village atmosphere and a world-renowned farmer’s market. Spend a day exploring the quaint shops, indulge in fresh local produce, head over to Stone Crock Bakery for a sweet treat or stop in at Block Three Brewing for a pint!
Visit the Museum
If your dad has a curious mind and a love for learning, plan a visit to the THEMUSEUM in downtown Kitchener. This interactive museum offers engaging exhibits that explore art, science, technology, and culture. Discover together by engaging in hands-on activities and spark thought-provoking conversations while having a blast exploring the museum’s offerings.
Indulge in local eats:
- Bauer Kitchen (Waterloo) – A contemporary restaurant known for its farm-to-table approach, offering a diverse menu featuring locally sourced ingredients and a stylish ambiance.
- Langdon Hall (Cambridge) – A luxurious and renowned restaurant nestled in a historic country house, providing an upscale dining experience with a focus on seasonal and locally inspired cuisine.
- Red House (Waterloo) – A charming restaurant and pub known for its warm atmosphere and delicious comfort food, featuring a menu that highlights locally sourced ingredients and craft beers.
- TWH Social (Kitchener) – Located in The Walper Hotel, this trendy restaurant offers a vibrant and modern dining experience with a menu that combines global flavours and local ingredients.
- Bhima’s Warung (Waterloo) – A family-owned Indonesian restaurant serving authentic and flavorful Indonesian cuisine, with a menu that includes traditional dishes such as nasi goreng, satay, and rendang.
- Borealis Grille & Bar (Kitchener) – A farm-to-table restaurant committed to showcasing the bounty of Ontario’s local ingredients, serving a menu of seasonal dishes inspired by Canadian cuisine.
- Arabesque Family Restaurant – A charming dining establishment that offers a taste of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine.
- Ellison’s Bistro – A local restaurant owned by Chef Elvis Ellison, who has been learning traditional Caribbean dishes from his mother since the age of 12.
Enjoy cooking a meal at home!
Cooking together can be a terrific bonding opportunity. Don’t let Dad cook by himself! Impress him with a recipe for a perfect pan-seared steak, brought to you by our friends at ForeQuarter Butcher Shop:
The perfect recipe to cook a restaurant-quality steak for Dad!
- Pat down your steak with a paper towel to dry the meat.
- Salt generously on both sides. Leave out at room temperature for an hour to make sure the middle is not cold.
- Heat cast iron pan to medium-high. Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Place steak into the pan. Give it a little shake and wait for the golden brown sear. Once you achieve the sear, flip the steak. If it sticks, the crust is not formed yet.
- Be patient. If you try to pull the steak off when it is sticking, you risk tearing the meat.
- Flip the steak again. Pay attention to the juices that form on top. A clear liquid rising to the top means it is approaching medium rare (125°F.) A little red appearing in the liquid indicates Medium (135°F.) When most of the liquid on top is red, that indicates medium-well (145°F.) When the red liquid starts to dissipate, you’ve reached well done, aka overcooked. (155°F or higher).
- Take out of the pan and let it sit. Letting it sit allows the juices in the steak to settle into the meat. Place in a spot a bit above room temperature for approximately half the time it takes to cook.
- Give a quick reheat in the pan, just enough to get the outside hot again.
- Slice, plate and enjoy
Play a game in the backyard!
Visit your local Home Hardware and pick up dad’s favorite lawn game! At Home Hardware, you can find a great selection of lawn games that make perfect Father’s Day gifts – we listed a few to for some inspo!
- Cornhole: Set up the cornhole boards and challenge your dad to a friendly bean bag toss competition. Aim for the hole or score points by landing the bag on the board. Cheer each other on, revel in friendly banter, and enjoy the satisfying thud of the bags hitting the target.
- Bocce Ball: Unleash your competitive spirits with a game of bocce ball. Set up the court in your backyard and take turns trying to roll your balls closest to the pallino (small target ball). Engage in strategic discussions and friendly trash talk as you compete to outsmart each other and claim victory.
- Lawn Darts: A safe and family-friendly version of the classic game, lawn darts involves throwing darts at a target on the ground. It’s an exciting game that tests accuracy and coordination.
- Giant Jenga: Take the classic game of Jenga to a larger scale with giant Jenga blocks. Carefully remove a block from the tower and stack it on top, testing your skills and nerve. Enjoy the thrill and suspense as the tower grows taller, and celebrate with jubilation or commiserate with laughter when it inevitably tumbles down.
- Croquet: Set up a croquet course in your backyard and engage in this delightful game of skill and strategy. Navigate through the wickets, strategically positioning your balls and knocking opponents’ balls out of play. Revel in the friendly competition and the opportunity to showcase your strategic prowess.
Get social with us
Are you ready to explore the Region this Father’s Day? Let us know! Send us a direct message or a photo of you at one of the summer festivals we recommended to @builtbyactiva on Instagram or Facebook for a chance to be featured on our social pages.
See what else is happening on our inspiration page to learn more about Activa!