Welcome to the second post of our Home for the Holidays Series! We hope you’ve checked our other blog in the series, Community Events for Families. Next up, we asked our employees for their favourite shop local spots in the KW Region… and we’ve got the deets! Discover the best spots to shop for the home décor lover, the foodie, the eco-warrior and more! Support these businesses online, visit their shops or purchase a gift card this holiday gift-giving season. Let’s support small businesses and shop local!
You can even follow along with our extensive map highlighting local businesses in Kitchener, Waterloo and Cambridge. Download here!
For the home décor lover:
The one who can’t get enough of decorative throw pillows, chunky blankets, scented candles and knick-knacks for the home! Check out our round-up of places to shop for the home décor lover in your life!
- Tepperman’s – Find Something For Every Room At Your Local Tepperman’s!
- St. Jacobs Furnishings – Canadian Company that provides local, handcrafted Canadian furniture
- Hauser – contemporary outdoor and indoor furniture and home décor
- The Art of Home – a home-lifestyle boutique
- Sweet & Spice Candles – 100% soy wax candles hand-poured in Waterloo
- Gifted Waterloo – specializing in gifts, home décor and paper goods
- Devitt House – curated goods for you and your home
- Cornerstone Home Interior – eclectic and classical home furnishings
- Krajewski Gallery – gallery and picture framing
For the kids (and those young at heart):
The ones that love new games, vintage games, superheroes and comic books! Check out our round-up of places to shop for kids (and those young at heart).
- J & J Cards and Collectibles – collectibles, games and puzzles
- KW Vintage Games – buy, sell and trade games
- Good Time Games – video gaming store
- Carry-On Comics and Books – a one-stop-shop for vintage and new comics
For the foodie in your life:
The one that loves all things food & drink. Check out our round-up of local distilleries, breweries, chocolate and cheese… what more could you want in life?
- Willibald Farm Distillery & Brewery – distillery, brewery and restaurant (check out their gingerbread gin)
- Block Three Brewing Co. – locally crafted beers
- Dana Shortt Gourmet and Gifts – gourmet food shop
- Ambrosia Corner Bakery – craft bean to bar chocolate & gourmet food store
- Play a Latte Café – locally roasted coffees and espresso-based drinks
- Reid’s Chocolates – a variety of chocolates & nuts
- Vincenzo’s – specialty gourmet food store
- La Fromagerie on Lex – a one-of-a-kind cheese boutique
- Relish Cooking Studio – a cooking school and retail store located in Kitchener
- Swine & Vine – Uptown Waterloo’s newest upscale dining experience
- Fore Quarter Butcher Shop – butcher shop, serving local, hormone and antibiotic-free meats
- The Culinary Studio – Waterloo Region’s Premier Recreational Cooking School
For the one with too many plants:
The one who has way too many plants, but always wants more (we don’t judge). Check out these local spots for the plant lover in your life!
- Air Life Greenery – creating home decor for air plants
- Living Fresh – floral art to celebrate’s life moments
- The Witty and Co – products that are well designed and celebrate the maker
- Charmed Flowers – modern flowers with delivery in the KW Region
- The Girl Floral – pretty things to bring you happiness
- Colour Paradise Greenhouses – an impressive selection of plants
- Gold Leaf Botanicals – Waterloo’s #1 tropical house plant boutique
- Belgian Nursery – Belgian Nursery is a specialized greenhouse destination for the community
For your eco-warrior:
The one who loves consignment stores, vintage clothing and zero-waste products. Our eco-friendly round-up is sure to please!
- Molloy’s – eco-friendly soaps, detergents, cleaning products and bath and body products
- Zero Waste Bulk – package-free bulk foods, soaps and more
- House of Bamboo – sustainable lifestyle brand
- The Patch – curated vintage for rad peeps
- Carousel Clothing – consignment store and fashion boutique
- Artisanal Design Co – curated vintage and upcycled clothing and accessories
- The Clothing Exchange – making second-hand look Gucci
- Hello Again – designer fashion at consignment prices
- White Tiger Vintage – vintage clothing boutique
- Le Prix – curated sustainable fashion and lifestyle boutique
For someone special:
Who doesn’t love a little extra sparkle during the holidays? Check out our round-up of local spots for that special person on your list!
- Harmony – meaningful products for special memories
- F.J. Brown & Son – jewellery and giftware store
- Frank’s Jewellers – jewellery and diamond shop
- The Truth Beauty Company – natural and organic beauty products
For the fitness lover:
The one who loves to be on the move! Check out these local fitness studios to purchase a gift card, personal training session or membership for the fitness lover in your life.
- Proactive Training and Nutrition – a high-intensity interval training workout
- Modo Yoga – hot yoga and barre classes
- The Fit Club by Price Health – fun and unique blend of personal training and group fitness classes
- SPINCO Waterloo – full-body spin classes
- Studio Three Fit – crushing every workout, and being kind to your body with recovery
- Elite Training Facility – fitness classes and registered massage therapy
- The Sweat Box – group fitness boot camp
- Big Bliss Yoga – a community of people who step up for one another and champion each other
- Elite Training Facility – A Kitchener training facility offering classes for ALL levels of fitness from beginner to elite
- Grand River Rocks – A 14,000 square foot indoor rock-climbing facility
For the film buff:
The one that loves all movies, new and old! Support these local cinemas by purchasing tickets, or buy some merch!
- Apollo Cinema – the best in contemporary, classic, and cult films
- Princess Cinemas – a true Canadian independent cinema, owner-operated and owner-programmed
Get social with us
Do you plan on supporting one of these small businesses during the holidays? We want to hear from you! Follow and tag @builtbyactiva on Instagram or Facebook for a chance to be featured on our social pages!