Job Title: Senior Estimator
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Reports To: Estimating Manager
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
The Senior Estimator will be responsible for pricing extras and unit rates as needed, creating and maintaining an Estimating Database supporting base house and upgrade pricing for single and multi-residential housing, and managing Request for Quotations (RFQ’s). Reporting to the Estimating Manager, the successful candidate will possess a fundamental knowledge of residential building practices, coupled with strong attention to detail, leading to prompt responses to RFQ’s and the identification of alternative construction methods.
Trade and Suppliers
- Arrange product training from trades and suppliers for current information / knowledge.
- Assist in the review of supplier Scopes of Work ensuring the Company’s standards and construction practices are accurately reflected.
- Assist in acquiring subcontractor rates to help estimators create product and prepare RFQ’s.
- Seeking out additional Trades and Suppliers as requested; qualifying Trades for inclusion in budget and contract tendering.
- Assist with Trade specific contracts when required to qualify and quantify pricing.
- Assist with tender process using base house plans or ‘preliminary’ dwelling plans to preferred trades for budget purposes; qualify and quantify all quotes and bids.
- Maintain all take offs for base house and products for all product lines.
- Ensure building or unit estimates and product BOMs (Bill of Materials) are correct and up to date.
- Ensure the accurate and timely completion of RFQ responses and other departmental tasks.
- Assist with complete conceptual costing and analysis for new projects and product as directed by Estimating Manager.
- Review and maintenance of all options, option BOMs and pricing in the Home Product Library.
- Help identify and implement alternative construction methods or design considerations that will help reduce the cost of construction.
- Provide budget input on future developments at concept stage as requested.
- Provide estimates for tendered drawings as required.
- Assist in responding to agents and custom RFQ’s.
- Maintain Home Product Library (HPL) ensuring all base house and upgrade pricing is available to Sales/Colours staff on-line.
- Provide product information sheets to agents.
- Identify and recommend options for inclusion via participation in Home Product Standards meetings.
- Store historical project costs (SF costs to construct) for all product and projects.
- Prepare budgets for new project analysis for feasibility analysis.
- Assist and mentor other estimators in department.
- Assist with daily operations whenever required and appropriate.
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time. This candidate will work closely with the Contracts Manager and take direction to assist with Procurement Department initiatives.
- Site visits may be required to verify quantities and methods of building.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in estimating, within residential home building industry.
- Sound knowledge and experience with estimating as it relates to single family dwellings, multi’s, and mid-rise construction
- Post-secondary education in Construction Estimating or related discipline.
- Experience with Microsoft Office with strong focus in Excel.
- Thorough understanding of home construction, building code, contracts and terminology.
- Experience with JDE, Newstar or similar database
- Excellent interpersonal skill; able to build relationships with outside contractors.
- Able to effectively manage department responsibilities and delegate to estimating specialists as required
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong organization skills
Activa is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals. We support the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process please contact our Human Resources department.
If you are self-motivated and are looking for an opportunity to expand your career in a dynamic and enthusiastic environment, you are invited to submit your resume to email@example.com. We appreciate your interest, however only qualified candidates will be contacted. For more information on our company visit www.activa.ca/our-story.