Health & Safety Assistant
Job Title: Health & Safety Assistant
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Reports To: Human Resources Manager
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
The Health & Safety Assistant is responsible for providing efficient and accurate administrative support to the Health & Safety department. This individual will work closely with the Health & Safety Manager and Human Resources Manager to ensure that Activa’s health and safety program is promoted and maintained. While this role is predominately office based, there will be a requirement to attend Activa’s construction sites and other work locations regularly throughout the year, during various weather conditions.
- Provide administrative support to the Health & Safety Department by:
- Scheduling safety talks, site inspections, and other health and safety meetings as required;
- Scheduling training for staff;
- Filing, tracking, and distributing various safety related documents for due diligence;
- Ensuring minimum Health & Safety posting requirements are met;
- Preparing, monitoring and distributing health and safety communications and documents as required; and
- Completing research pertaining to health and safety as required
- Assist the Health & Safety Manager to ensure the company’s Health and Safety program is kept up-to-date and promoted to all impacted individuals.
- Assist in the development, revision, and maintenance of policies, procedures, forms, and documents related to Activa’s Health and Safety program
- Maintain positive relationships with trades, suppliers, and industry and regulatory bodies, including the: IHSA (Infrastructure Health and Safety Association), MOLTSD (Ministry of Labour, Training & Skills Development)
- Assist in the maintenance of Activa’s Health & Safety Training Program by ensuring minimum training standards have been met for staff
- Responsible for tracking employee safety training certificates
- Organize and attend safety related meetings including Joint Health & Safety (JHSC) Committee and site construction meetings, if required. Prepare agendas, meeting minutes, and other documentation as required.
- Assist with and/or conduct the health and safety orientations with newly hired employees.
- Assist Health & Safety Manager with on-site inspections of site trailers and first aid kits.
- Other responsibilities within the scope and spirit of the role as required
- Minimum 1-year administrative experience.
- Experience in construction or a related industry an asset.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Office 365 (Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint) required.
- Degree or diploma in Business Administration, Occupational Health & Safety, Human Resources or a related field is an asset.
- Experience in Occupational Health and Safety an asset.
- Valid G driver’s license.
- High level of professionalism
- Very well organized, strong ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build rapport with diverse groups of people
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- A team player who is also able to work independently with minimum supervision
- Willingness to travel to various locations within the Region of Waterloo, if required
- Comfortable with working at heights, if required
- Able to deal effectively and maintain confidentiality in sensitive and emotional situations
"*" indicates required fields
Activa is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals. We support the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process please contact our Human Resources department.
If you are self-motivated and are looking for an opportunity to expand your career in a dynamic and enthusiastic environment, you are invited to submit your resume to email@example.com. We appreciate your interest, however only qualified candidates will be contacted. For more information on our company visit www.activa.ca/our-story.