Estimator (12 month contract)
Job Title: Estimator (12 month contract)
Job Type: Full-Time, Contract
Reports To: Estimating Manager
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
The Estimator will be responsible for assisting in maintaining our Estimating Database, supporting base house and upgrade pricing, and assisting with Request for Quotations. Reporting to the Estimating Manager, the successful candidate will possess a fundamental knowledge of standard residential building practices, coupled with strong attention to detail, leading to prompt responses to requests and the identification of alternative construction methods.
- Trade and Suppliers
- Assist in acquiring subcontractor rates to help estimators create product and prepare RFQ’s.
- Assist with job specific contracts if required.
- Assist in the review of supplier Scopes of Work ensuring the Company’s standards and construction practices are accurately reflected in the Scopes of Work. Work with Contracts to ensure Scopes of Work are updated for any changes.
- Assist with tender process using base house plans or ‘preliminary’ dwelling plans to preferred trades for budget purposes; qualify and quantify all quotes and bids.
- Maintain all take offs for base house and products for all product lines in ERP system.
- Ensure building/unit estimates and product estimates are correct and up to date.
- Assist with maintenance of spreadsheets and databases to track base house costs and upgrade costs.
- Help identify and implement alternative construction methods or design considerations that will help reduce the cost of our homes.
- Provide budget input on future developments at concept stage as requested.
- Assist other Estimators and departments as required.
- Maintain the Agents’ Catalogue and Home Product Library ensuring all base house and upgrade pricing is available to Sales/Colours staff on-line.
- Assist in responding to agents and upgrade requests for quotes.
- Provide product information sheets to agents.
- Assist with daily operations whenever required and appropriate.
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Post-secondary education in Construction Estimating or related discipline.
- Previous experience in estimating, within residential home building industry.
- Experience with Microsoft Office with strong focus in Excel.
- General understanding of home construction, building code, contracts and terminology.
- Previous experience with Newstar, Rems or JDE an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skill; able to build relationships with outside contractors.
- Strong analytical skills with precise attention to detail.
- Strong organization skills.
"*" indicates required fields
Activa is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals. We support the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process please contact our Human Resources department.
If you are self-motivated and are looking for an opportunity to expand your career in a dynamic and enthusiastic environment, you are invited to submit your resume to email@example.com. We appreciate your interest, however only qualified candidates will be contacted. For more information on our company visit www.activa.ca/our-story.