Job Title: Construction Manager
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Reports To: General Manager, Construction
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Reporting to the General Manager, Construction, the Construction Manager is responsible for monitoring multiple construction projects throughout Waterloo Region while acting as the key point of contact for site personnel regarding scheduling, trade issues, health and safety etc. This individual will assist the Construction department in successfully completing construction projects safely, on schedule and on budget. This individual will foster an environment of continuous improvement and participate in the implementation of department and company initiatives and strategies.
- Oversee Activa’s construction projects from excavation to completion.
- Direct, coordinate and coach Site Supervisors to ensure they have the resources required to:
- manage field staff and trades;
- ensure compliance with building and safety regulations;
- adhere to build schedule and closing dates.
- Participate in site recruitment initiatives, monitor staffing needs and make staffing recommendations to General Manager, Construction.
- Weekly reporting to General Manager, Construction regarding status of sites.
- Work with Warranty Specialist on 30-Day Tarion conciliation resolutions.
- Liaise with Warranty team and trades to ensure deficiencies are corrected in a timely manner.
- Provide direction to Site Supervisors regarding construction documentation (field binder, drawings, etc.)
- Initiate construction start-up for new sites per timeline/site requirements.
- Review and report on HB1 build schedule on a lot by lot or block by block basis.
- Investigate more effective and efficient ways to complete work and provide feedback on homebuilding activities to the General Manager, Construction.
- Ensure a safe work environment for all employees and trades in collaboration with Site Supervisors and Health & Safety Department that adheres to the responsibilities outlined in the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Company’s Health and Safety Program and Policy.
- Ensure and enforce site security arrangements.
- Ensure Site Supervisors are maintaining all on-site safety paperwork.
- Ensure site compliance with proper incident reporting practices.
- Work with Human Resources to ensure At Work Injury information is communicated in a timely manner.
- Assist Site Supervisors with managing all sub-trade site safety requirements, use of safety equipment, site indoctrination and enforcement of policies and issue warnings (verbal and written and handle safety dismissal issues).
- Ensure compliance with site personnel and trades to accurately reflect Activa’s brand and workmanship standards.
- Ensure site personnel complete pre-drywall inspections with homeowners and the inspections are completed in a consistent manner.
- Ensure site personnel complete PDIs with homeowners and that deficiencies are followed up on and warrantable repairs are completed.
- Ensure site personnel complete 30-Day warrantable repairs.
- Act as first point of contact for after-hours emergencies or issues that may arise.
- Oversee Site Supervisor’s planning and coordination of sub-trade activities.
- Review and interpret drawings, as required.
- Review red line drawings, as required.
- Other duties as assigned within the spirit and the scope of the role.
- Minimum of 5 years as a Site Supervisor in low rise residential construction; mid-rise construction experience is considered an asset.
- Up-to-date and comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Building Code (Part 9); knowledge of Part 3 is considered an asset.
- Up-to-date training and certification in all required safety certificates appropriate to effectively and safely manage construction projects
- Good working knowledge of computers, particularly Microsoft Office
- Strong leadership and customer service skills.
- Outgoing and enthusiastic with strong communication skills.
- Enjoys troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Self-starter who is organized, works efficiently, and with minimal supervision within a team environment.
Activa is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals. We support the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process please contact our Human Resources department.
If you are self-motivated and are looking for an opportunity to expand your career in a dynamic and enthusiastic environment, you are invited to submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We appreciate your interest, however only qualified candidates will be contacted. For more information on our company visit www.activa.ca/our-story.